Summer is just around the corner and many of us are still flying by the seat of pants trying to get to graduation parties while trying to get a good summer calendar together. If you are looking for an event idea this summer that you can make free or cheap to students, Darren Sutton and myself put together our top 5 list:
1) Summer BBQ’s: This is my favorite for our high school ministry! In fact we are doing 4 BBQ’s this summer. Seek out families in your church who have a great back yard, (maybe a swimming pool), buy or borrow yard games and sports equipment, buy burgers, hot dogs, lemonade and chips, and you’re set! Depending on how big their yard is, you can play games like kickball, wiffleball, and maybe even ask if you can do a slip n’ slide?
2) Ice-Cream Themed Anything: Years ago, at a previous church, we would meet at church and walk a couple of miles to the ice-cream place in town. As simple as this sounds, it’s amazing how many great conversations happen on a walk! (Who would have thought)? Or another idea is to create and build your own sundae experience and let students be creative!
3) Water Wars Capture the Flag Style: Get a team of leaders to fill up thousands of water balloons and find a large open space where you can have a capture the flag water wars game. Make sure you have a few ‘judges’ to eliminate students who get hit with a water balloon in enemy territory. It’s up to you how you make the rules, but know that students just love to throw balloons at each other (and you)!
4) Pool / Beach Party: Drive to the beach or ask around if a family at your church has a sweet pool you can use. Here in South East Michigan, we have loads of lakes with beaches, so finding a location is not a problem. Provide snacks and maybe finish off the evening with S’mores? Obviously, you might want to be clear on what appropriate swimwear looks like.
5) Olympic Games Event: Our middle school ministry recently did an event like this. Go online and find as many relay type games, obstacle course activities, and team building initiatives, and buy some cheap medals for your winners. This event will take a lot of preparation time, but your students will love the Olympic theme this summer!
What cheap or free events are you planning this summer? What would you add to this list?